Shahi Paneer is a North Indian vegetarian dish made of Paneer (Cottage Cheese). It is a spicy recipe with thick creamy gravy. It is mainly used with rice, roti, nan, etc.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 – 40 Minutes
Servings: 4 Persons
Main Ingredients: Paneer (Cottage Cheese), Butter
Cuisine: North India
Tag: Paneer Recipes
200 – 250 gms Paneer (cottage cheese)
2 tsp Ginger – Garlic Paste
¼ cup Tomato Puree
¾ cup thick Yogurt
Salt to taste
1 – 1½ tbsp Oil or Ghee
For Almond-Cashew Nut Paste:
1 medium Onion, finely chopped
3 large or 4 medium Tomatoes
13 Whole Cashew Nuts
3 – 4 Dry Kashmiri Chillies
½ tbsp. Oil or Ghee
2 tsp Sugar
1 inch Cinnamon 1 Bay Leaf
4 Green Cardamoms
1 tbsp Dry Fenugreek Leaves
½ tsp Garam Masala
Method to Prepare Shahi Paneer Recipe
1. Fry the paneer pieces in little oil or ghee until it turns golden brown on both sides.
2. Keep the fried paneer pieces in a bowl of hot water to keep them soft and crumbly.
3. Chop the onion and tomatoes and crush ginger-garlic paste
4. Heat ½ tbsp. of oil or ghee in a pan and add chopped onions, tomatoes and sugar.
5. Sauté them on medium flame for a minute.
6. Mix in ¼ cup of water and bring the water to boil.
7. To this add almonds, cashew nuts and Kashmiri chillies.
8. Cover the pan and cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
9. Turn off the flame and let the mixture cool down before grinding it to smooth paste. Keep it aside.
10. Heat 1-1½ tbsp. of oil or ghee in a pan and cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms and ay leaves.
11. Stir fry for a minute before adding ginger-garlic paste and fry it until the raw smell disappears.
12. Mix in tomato puree dissolved in 3 tbsp water and stir well. Cook for 2 minutes.
13. Add ground almond-cashew nut paste to the gravy and mix them well.
14. Add half of kasuri methi and salt to taste.
15. Cook uncovered for 4-5 mins on medium flame.
16. Remove the pan from heat and mix in whisked yogurt stir well.
17. Bring the pan back on heat and simmer the gravy for 4-5 minutes.
18. Add about ½ cup or more of water if you find the gravy too thick to adjust the consistency. 19. Add salt to taste and mix well.
19. Next add the paneer, garam masala and remaining kasuri methi and let the gravy simmer for another 5-6 minutes.
20. Turn off the flame and let it rest for 10 minutes
Your Shahi Paneer is ready. Serve with roti or rice or naan.