It is a simple paneer rice recipe to try at home. A very delicious recipe which can be eat up without any side dishes or with achar. A healthy vegetarian recipe from North India.
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
Servings: 2 Persons
Main Ingredients: Basmati Rice, Cottage Cheese (Paneer)
Cuisine: North India
Basmati Rice: 1 cup
Oil: 1 tsp
Paneer (Cottage Cheese): 200 gms (cubed)
Onion (medium): 1 no. (thinly sliced)
Ginger: 1/4 inch
Garlic: 3 cloves
Green chilli: 1 no.
Mint leaves: 2 Tbsp + For garnishing
Coriander leaves: 1 Tbsp + For garnishing
Tomato (small size): 1 no.
Salt – As per taste
Turmeric: 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder: 3/4 tsp
Cinnamon: 1/2 stick
Cardamom pods: 2 no.
Clove: 3 no.
Coriander seeds: 2 tsp
Pepper corns: 1 tsp
Jeera: 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds: 1/2 tsp
Oil: 3 tbsp
Bay leaves (Small): 2 no.
Cinnamon: 1/2 stick
Cashews: 10 no.
Method to Prepare Paneer Rice
1. First wash and soak the rice for at least 30 mins.
2. Heat a pan with a tsp of oil and saute the paneer cubes in medium flame until they turn golden. Turn off the flame and keep aside.
3. In the same pan (used for frying paneer) add cinnamon, clove, coriander seeds, pepper corns, jeera & fennel seeds, and roast until the coriander seeds starts changing color and a nice aroma arises.
4. Turn off the flame and transfer the ingredients to a plate and let them cool.
5. Grind them into a coarse powder. Keep it aside.
6. Crush the garlic, ginger and green chilli, keep aside until use.
7. Heat a pressure cooker with oil, add bay leaves, cinnamon, clove, cardamom,cashew,pepper corns & jeera. Once the cashews turn golden, add the onion and crushed ginger, garlic, chilli. Saute until the onion turns translucent.
8. Now add the mint and coriander leaves saute until the onions turns golden.
9. Add the tomato, salt and saute until the tomato turns mushy.
10. Add turmeric, chilli powder and saute in low-medium flame until the oil starts for about one minute.
11. Now add 1 1/4 Cup of water and the rice to it and give a gentle mix. Add prepared masala powder and give a gentle mix again.
12. Now add the fried paneer cubes and give a gentle mix. Cook for one whistle or until done in medium-low flame. Wait until the pressure subsides.
13. Remove the cover, garnish with mint and coriander leaves and give a gentle mix.