Palak Paneer is one of the most delicious paneer (cottage cheese) recipe from North India. It is a very healthy recipe as it consist of palak (spinach) and paneer (cottage cheese). It is prepared by cooking shallow fried paneer cubes in spinach gravy.
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 40 Minutes
Servings: 4 Persons
Main Ingredients: Paneer (Cottage Cheese), Palak (Spinach)
Cuisine: North India
Fresh spinach: 200 to 250 grams
Green chilies (chopped): 2 nos.
Medium sized garlic cloves (chopped): 1 no.
Ginger (chopped): ½ inch
3 cups water for blanching spinach
3 cups water for ice bath
For palak paneer curry:
Onion (finely chopped): 1 no. (small size)
Tomato (chopped): 1 small or medium
Garlic cloves (finely chopped): 4 nos. (small size)
Cumin seeds: ½ teaspoon
Turmeric powder: ¼ teaspoon
Garam masala powder: ¼ tsp
Tej patta (bay leaf): 1 small
Paneer: 200 to 250 grams
Water: ½ cup
Cream: 1 tbsp
Unsalted butter: 2 tbsp
Salt as required
Method to Prepare Palak Paneer
1. Rinse the spinach leaves very well in running water
2. Boil 3 cups water in a pan ,add 1/4 tsp salt to the hot water and stir.
3. Then add the palak leaves in the hot water, close with a lid and let the palak leaves sit in the water for 2-3 mins. Strain the palak leaves.
4. Add the spinach leaves in a bowl containing ice cold water. Allow the spinach leaves to be in the cold water for a minute or two.
5. Drain the cold water. Add the spinach in a blender or grinder jar with chopped ginger, garlic and green chilies, make a smooth palak puree. no need to add water while making the puree. Keep the spinach puree aside.
6. Heat butter in a pan, add the cumin and let them splutter.
7. Add the tej patta or bay leaf, add the finely chopped onions. saute till the onions become golden.
8. Add the finely chopped garlic. saute till the raw aroma of garlic goes away
9. Add the chopped tomatoes, stir and saute the tomatoes till they soften.
10. Once the tomatoes are softened and you see butter releasing from the sides of the mixture, then add the turmeric powder. Stir very well. Add the palak puree stir well.
11. Add about 1/2 cup water stir again.
12. Simmer for 6-7 minutes or more till the spinach is cooked, season with salt. The gravy will also thicken by now. Stir and add garam masala powder.
13. Stir again and then add the paneer cubes.
14. Stir gently and simmer on a low flame till the paneer cubes become soft about 1 to 2 minutes.
15. Lastly add cream stir gently again so that the cream gets incorporated in the palak paneer gravy uniformly.
16. Switch off the flame & serve hot.