Mathanga Erissery with Red Beans is a a tasty recipe for sadhya in South India. Pumpkin with red beans curry or mathanga erissery is a traditional Kerala dish. It is a very healthy recipe to try at home.
Preparation Time: 5 – 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 – 25 Minutes
Soaking Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 3 – 4 persons
Main Ingredients: Red Beans,Pumpkin
Cuisine: South Indian
Course / Category: Vegetarian, Curry
Pumpkin/Mathanga: ½ cup
Red beans/ Vanpayar: 1 cup
Coconut: ½ cup
Onion: 1 number (Medium)
Red Chilly Powder: ½ teaspoon
Turmeric Powder: 1/3 teaspoon
Cumin seeds: ½ teaspoon
Garlic: 2 – 3 flakes
Shallots: 2 numbers
Curry leaves: 4 – 5 numbers
Oil: 1 tablespoon
Salt: as required
Method to Prepare Mathanga Erissery with Red Beans
1. Cook red beans with little salt. (3 whistle).
2. Add pumpkin to it & cook for 1 whistle.
3. Grind coconut, cumin, onion, turmeric into fine paste.
4. Add this paste to red beans & pumpkin mix.
5. Cook for 10 minutes in a semi thick consistency.
6. Heat oil in a pan, put mustard when it splutters add shallots & curry leaves.
7. Saute well till shallots are golden brown in colour.
8. Season it above the curry.
Your Mathanga Erissery is ready to serve. Serve with steamed rice.