Lemon Rice Recipe is one of the most popular rice recipe from south India. It is an easy recipe with a nice flavour of lemon juice. This lemon rice recipe is eaten alone or with yogurt, raita, pachadi, pickle, etc.
Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Servings: 3 Persons
Main Ingredients: Rice, Lemon Juice
Cuisine: South Indian
Rice: 1.5 cups
Lemon juice: 5 to 2 tablespoons or as required
Mustard seeds: 1 teaspoon
Urad dal (Split Black gram): 1 teaspoon
Red chilies (dry): 2 no.
Green chilly (chopped): 1 no.
Curry leaves: 1 string
Asafoetida: 1 pinch
Turmeric powder: ½ teaspoon
Cashews (If needed): 1 tablespoon
Oil: 1 tablespoon
Salt as required
Method to Prepare Lemon Rice Recipe
1. Rinse rice a couple of times and soak for 30 minutes.
2. Then drain the water and pressure cook rice with ¼ teaspoon salt and 3 cups water for 2 to 3 whistles medium-high flame.
3. When the pressure settles down on its own in the cooker, remove the lid.
4. Remove the cooked rice in a plate or in a bowl.let the rice become warm or cool at room temperature.
5. In a small frying pan, heat 1 tablespoons oil. fry cashew nuts and keep aside.
6. Now add 1 tablespoon oil in the same pan. Add the mustard seeds and let them crackle, once the mustard seeds begin to crackle, add the urad dal.
7. Saute till the urad dal turns golden. fry everything on a low flame.
8. Add the red chilies, green chilies (chopped) and curry leaves. Sauté for a few seconds till the red chilies change color, switch off the flame and add the asafoetida and turmeric powder.
9. Mix very wellstir and immediately pour this tempering mixture on the rice.
10. Add the fried cashews, lemon juice and salt. Mix very well.
11. Keep the lemon rice covered for the flavors to blend for 4 to 5 minutes.
Serve the lemon rice with yogurt .