Kappa Vevichathu is a popular Kerala recipe. It is mashed tapioca with coconut. Kappa Vevichathu is also called as Kappa Puzhukku. Mostly in Kerala it is served along with Fish curry. Some areas it is called Manja Kappa as it looks yellowish in colour.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 2 persons
Main Ingredients: Tapioca / Yuca / Kappa
Cuisine: South Indian, Kerala
Course / Category: Breakfast
Fresh Tapioca / Kappa: 1 kg
Grated Coconut: 1 cup
Shallots: 5 numbers
Green Chilly: 2 numbers
Curry Leaves : 1 big spring
Garlic: 4 big cloves
Turmeric Powder: ¼ tsp
Salt: as per taste
Method to Prepare Kappa Vevichathu (Kappa Puzhukku)
1. Peel the outer brown skin and inner pink skin of tapioca. Remove the hard part and edges.
2. Slice it into thick pieces and wash it thoroughly and repeatedly until.
3. Grind coconut, shallots, green chilly, curry leaves, garlic and turmeric powder to form a very coarse paste.
4. Boil the tapioca pieces in water (water level must be more than the level of tapioca) along with salt until tender.
5. It will take 10 to 20 minutes depending upon the type of tapioca.
6. Drain the water thoroughly, put the paste made on the top of the tapioca and close with a lid.
7. Keep it on low flame for 5 minutes. The paste will cooked in the steam.
8. Remove the lid and mash the pieces thoroughly using a wooden piece or back of wooden spatula. I like a completely mashed item. Some like few chunks to bite.
9. Your Kappa Vevichathu is ready and serve hot with Fish curry or Chilly Chutney or Chicken Curry.