Chembu Kuzhambu is a recipe from Kerala. Chembu is a malayalam name for colocasia. This is a common part in the food of malayali’s. Chembu kuzhambu is a tasty recipe made with combination of chembu along with grinded coconut. It is a good recipe to try with chappathy or roti. It can also be used with steamed rice.
Preparation Time: 5 – 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 – 25 Minutes
Servings: 2 – 3 persons
Main Ingredients: Colocasia / Arbi /Chembu
Cuisine: South Indian
Colocasia / Arbi (Hindi)/Chembu (Malayalam): 250 gm
Coconut: ½ cup (grated)
Cumin Seeds: ½ teaspoon
Turmeric powder: ½ teaspoon
Fish Tamarind/Kudampuli: 2 numbers
Salt: as required
Shallots: 6 – 8 Numbers
Mustard: 1 teaspoon
Coconut Oil: 2 tablespoon
Curry Leaves: 5 – 6 leaves
Method to Prepare Chembu Kuzhambu
1. Cook chembu (arbi) with adequate amount of water and fish tamarind.
2. Grind coconut, turmeric, shallots, cumin seeds in mixer.
3. Add this mix to cooked chembu (arbi).
4. Cook well to get thick gravy. Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil & keep it closed for 5-10 minutes
5. Heat oil in pan add mustard, when it splutters add chopped shallots & curry leaves & season above curry.
Your Chembu Kuzhambu is ready to serve. Serve with chappathy or steamed rice.