Halwa are sweet dessert made from flours like all purpose, wheat and with rice, some time with fruits and vegetables. Plantain Halwa / Ethakka Halwa is a famous recipe in Kerala. The main ingredients is the over ripe Ethakka (Kerala Banana or Nethrakaya or Plantains), it should be over ripe. I tasted this halwa from my friend and thought to give it a try.
Total Time: 50 – 55 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes, 20 – 25 Minutes to set
Servings: 2 Persons
Main Ingredients: Plantain
Tags: Sweet Dessert
Ripe Plantains: 2 no’s ( Chopped finely)
Sugar: 1 ½ tablespoon
Ghee / butter: 4 tablespoon
Cardamom: 2 (powdered)
Cashews: 5 no’s
Method to Prepare Plantain Halwa / Ethakka Halwa
1. Peel the skin of plantains and make cut in the middle, remove the black seeds and chopped into fine pieces. Grind it to a smooth paste without adding water
2. Heat pan add 1 teaspoon of ghee and fry the cashews to golden brown and set aside.
3. Heat a thick bottomed pan and add the grinded paste with some ghee.
4. When the mixtures becomes thick starts adding sugar, cashew and cardamom powder and mix well.
5. Add ghee and continue stirring when colour changes to brown then transfer the Halwa to buttered pan and smoothen the top with wooden spatula. Keep aside for cooling. After 20 minutes cut in desire shapes and enjoy.