Uzhunnu Vada / Medu Vada /Urad dal Fritters is a tasty snacks recipe. It is a famous snacks recipe commonly available at almost all restaurants and street shops. This is a South Indian (Kerala) style uzhunnu vada recipe. This is also called Medu vada or Urad dal fritters.
Preparation Time: 5 – 10 minutes
Soaking Time: 3 – 4 hour
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 3 – 4 persons
Main Ingredients: Black Gram / Uzhunnuparippu / Urad Dal
Cuisine: South Indian
Course / Category: Snacks
Black Gram / Uzhunnuparippu /Udad Dal: 250 gram
Raw Rice: 2 tablespoon
Black Pepper (Crushed): 1 teaspoon
Green Chilly: 5 Numbers
Ginger: 1 small piece
Asafoetida: ¼ teaspoon
Coriander leaves (Chopped): 2 teaspoon
Curry leaves (Chopped): 3 teaspoon
Oil: For frying
Salt: As required
Method to Prepare Uzhunnu Vada / Medu Vada /Urad dal Fritters
1. Soak black gram with raw rice for 3 – 4 hours
2. Chop Green Chilly, Ginger, Coriander leaves, Curry leaves into small pieces and crush the black pepper
3. Grind the Black gram and Raw rice with very less water. The consistency should be thick as possible. (If water is less oil consumption will be less)
4. Mix the remaining ingredients with the batter thoroughly.
5. Heat oil in a pan.
6. Wet your hand with water (to avoid sticking batter on your hand) and put small amount of batter on your hand and make a hole in the centre of the batter.
7. Place it in the hot oil and deep fry till it becomes golden brown.
8. Repeat the procedure for remaining batter.
Your Uzhunnu Vada / Medu Vada /Urad dal Fritters is ready to serve. Serve it hot with coconut chutney or sambar.