Banana Chips (Plantain Chips) is a famous, tasty chips most common in Kerala. So it is commonly known as Kerala Chips. It is an unavoidable part in Onam. Kerala people make this chips at home regularly. It is a healthy, tasty and crispy chips recipe.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 – 30 minutes
Servings: 4 – 6 persons
Main Ingredients: Plantain
Cuisine: South Indian, Kerala
Course / Category: Snacks
Raw Plantain (Banana): 4 numbers
Turmeric Powder: ½ teaspoon
Oil (Preferably Coconut Oil): for frying
Salt: as required
Method to Prepare Banana Chips (Plantain Chips)
1. Take raw plantain (plantain at the beginning of ripe can also be used, but the chips will have a light sweet taste)
2. Take a big bowl (plantains should come inside the bowl) with water and put half teaspoon of turmeric powder into it and stir.
3. Peel off the skin of the plantains and put them in big bowl contains water with turmeric powder and keep it for 20 – 30 minutes. This will remove the stickiness and wash it correctly. If you don’t like turmeric powder wash, put plantains in normal water for 30 minutes and wash well.
4. Take plantains out of water and dry
5. Slice the plantains into thin pieces using slicer or knife (you can slice it directly into the boiling oil, if you can do it safe and fast)
6. Heat coconut oil (you can use other oils also, but tastes authentic coconut oil) in a pan
7. When oil boils put sliced plantains into it (don’t over crowd the pan). Stir occasionally to flip them and turn them upside down to evenly cook.
8. When it is half cooked sprinkle some salt water (be careful as this step splashes out due to hot oil and water mixed).
9. When the bubbling diminishes test whether it is done by taking one and crush it. If still soft or squishy inside it’s not done, fry until it is crisp.
10. When it is cooked take the chips out using a slotted spoon and drain the oil in a paper towel.
Your Banana chips (Plantain Chips) are ready.