Kozhukatta / Kozhukattai is mostly considered as a recipe for Hosanna, Easter or any such religious food. But it is one of the common sweet breakfast or tea time snacks recipes from South India / Kerala.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 – 15 minutes
Servings: 4 – 5 persons
Main Ingredients: Rice Flour, Jaggery, Coconut
Cuisine: South Indian, Kerala
Rice Flour: 250 gm
Jaggery: 200 gms
Coconut: 1 and ½ cup
Crushed Cardamom: 3 number
Salt: as required
Method to Prepare Kozhukatta / Kozhukattai
1. Melt the jaggery with small amount of water (only to just melt jaggery) and strain it.
2. Add coconut and cook it till liquid dried up.
3. Add crushed cardamom to the mixture and remove from fire.
Your filling mixture is ready
4. Boil some water with salt as required.
5. Mix the rice flour with this boiled water to a consistency of idiyappam dough. The dough should not be sticky. Keep it aside to cool to handle.
6. Make medium size balls with the dough, take one in your palm and press it with the other hand to make it a thin cup.
7. Fill it with the filling mixture, cover it and roll it back into a ball. Repeat the process for the remaining dough and filling.
8. Steam the kozhukatta in a steamer / appachembu in a medium flame till it cooked well.
Your Kozhukatta is ready serve warm.