Kerala Mixture is a tasty snacks available in almost all bakeries in Kerala. Mixture is a very popular snacks. It has varied varieties and is prepared in all parts of India. In homes it is mostly prepared at the time of festivals. It is an easy recipe to prepare Kerala mixture at your home.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Servings: 15 – 20 persons
Main Ingredients: Gram Flour / Besan
Cuisine: South India, Kerala
Course / Category: Snacks
Besan / Gram Flour – 2cup
Rice Flour – 1 cup (roasted)
Chilly powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Asafoetida – ½ tsp
Peanut – ½ cup
Chana dal – ½ cup (roasted)
Curry leaves – 3 springs
Salt – ½ tsp
Oil – For frying
Method to Prepare Kerala Mixture
1. In a bowl, mix besan, rice flour, Asafoetida powder, red chilly powder and turmeric powder together.
2. Knead this into a smooth dough. It should not be watery nor do too thick, little loose than chappathi dough.
3. Heat oil in a frying pan. Fill the dough in a sev maker / idiyappam mould after putting disc with very small holes in it. Press the dough into hot oil.
4. Fry both sides until it turns golden in color. Drain the excess oil and let it cool completely.
5. Now fry the peanuts and roasted channa dal till it turns golden in colour and set aside.
6. Add curry leaves into the hot oil, drain them too.
7. We can make murukku, pakavadas from the same batter using sev disc of its shape to add in mixture.
8. You can make boondi my taking 2 lemon size ball and loosening it by adding more water. Hold the ladle with holes above the oil and pour this batter to it and make fry boondi’s till golden in colour. Remove boondi from the pan, drain the excess oil and let it cool completely.
9. Mix all these fried items. In a large bowl, place the fried mixture and crush it into smaller pieces.
10. Now add all the other fried items. Add a bit more red chilly powder, asafoetida powder and salt. Mix well, and allow to cool completely.
Your Kerala Mixture is ready. Store in an airtight container.