Chakka Appam (Chakka Ada) is a healthy recipe. Jackfruit (called as chakka in Malayalam) is a unique tropical fruit. It is also very nutritious and have several health benefits. With the healthy combination of raw rice powder, jaggery and jackfruit this recipe becomes a tasty breakfast or snack which can be prepared easily.
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 25 Minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Servings: 2 persons
Main Ingredients: Ripe Jackfruit, Raw rice powder
Cuisine: South Indian, Kerala
Tag: Chakka Recipes
Ripe Jackfruit: 20 – 25 pieces (chula)
Jaggery: 1 cup
Roasted rice flour: 2 cup
Water: ½ cup
Grated coconut: ½ cup
Cardamom (powdered): 4 – 5 Cardamom
Ghee / Butter for brushing banana leaves
Method to Prepare Chakka Appam (Chakka Ada)
1. In blender puree the jack fruit and set aside.
2. In a small bowl add jaggery and ¼ cup water until it melted completely and strain for impurities.
3. Add the jackfruit puree to jaggery mix and cook until it thickened about 35 – 40 minutes.
4. To this a roasted rice powder and coconut and cardamom powder.
5. Mix everything and form a dough.
6. Cut banana leaf into small squares, and slightly wilt them in open flame.
7. Then brush the banana leaves with ghee/butter and place small round dough in the center.
8. Spread it into in ½ inch circle. Fold it into two then fold once again to form a wrap.
9. Place it in a steamer and cook for 15 – 20 minutes or until color of the leaf changes.
10. Once it is cool enough to touch remove it from wrapped banana leaves
Your Chakka Appam (Chakka Ada) is ready to serve. Enjoy