Avalose Unda / Mavunda / Roated Rice Balls is a healthy snacks prepared with avalose podi (roasted rice powder) and jaggery.
Preparation Time: 10- 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 45 Minutes
Servings: 8 Persons (20 – 25 Mavunda)
Main Ingredients: Rice Flour, Coconut, Jaggery
Course / Category: Snacks, Kerala Snacks
Rice Flour (not roasted) (Same as for Puttu Podi ): 4 Cups
Grated Coconut: 2 Cups
Cumin Seeds: 1.5 tsp
Dry Ginger Powder (Chukku Podi): A pinch
Cardamom Powder: 1 tsp
Jaggery: 250 gm
Salt: As per taste
Sugar: As per taste (only at the time of serving)
Method to Prepare Avalose Unda / Mavunda / Roasted Rice Balls
1. Make avalose podi as given below:
a) Mix rice flour, grated coconut, cumin seeds and salt and keep it aside for some time to get them blend well.
b) Roast the mixture in a kadai on a low flame.
c) Roast until a rice flour and grated coconut gets nicely roasted and light brown in color.
d) Keep it for cooling.
e) Grind the mixture in a mixture to make it combined.
2. Keep a small portion of avalose podi or rice flour aside.
3. Add cardamom powder and dry ginger powder (chukku podi) and mix well.
4. Melt the jaggery with water. Strain the impurities.
5. Boil the mixture until it reaches one string consistency.
6. Pour over the avalose podi and mix until combined.
7. When the heat is bearable in your hands, start making balls by holding the mixture tight in your palms.
8. Place the made balls in avalose podi kept apart and roll them gently and keep it inside a plate.
Serve it after getting cooled.
1. Be quick on make mavunda balls as it will not hold shape once the mixture turns cold.
2. Another possible way to overcome this difficulty is by doing steps 4 – 8 part by part and for small portions of jaggery and avalose podi (make sure that the mixture is good enough to make the balls, not loose).