Vazha Koombu Thoran is a delicious, easy, tasty, and nutritious thoran (side dish) recipe. It is a popular recipe in Kerala where most houses have banana tree in their backyard. Vazha Koombu is also known as banana flower or vazha chundu or vazha poovu or kodappan. It is a side dish to use along with steamed rice. This thoran is gives a nostalgic feeling to many when they are away from home.
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
Servings: 4 Persons
Main Ingredients: Vazha Koombu / Banana Flower / Vazha Poovu / Vazha Chundu / Kodappan
Cuisine: Indian, South Indian, Kerala
Vazha Koombu / Banana Flower / Vazha Poovu / Vazha Chundu / Kodappan: 1 no.
Grated Coconut: ¼ cup
Shallots: 2 – 3
Green Chillies: 2 nos.
Turmeric Powder: ½ tsp
Red Chilly Powder: ¼ tsp
Mustard seeds: ½ tsp
Dried Red Chillies: 2 nos.
Curry leaves: 1 sprig
Coconut Oil: 1 – 2 tbsp
Salt: to taste
Method to Prepare Vazha Koombu Thoran
1. Rinse well the Vazha Koombu with turmeric water and drain the water as much as possible mix it little oil, turmeric, salt and keep aside.
2. Using hand mix grated coconut with turmeric powder, shallots, cumin seeds, garlic.
3. Heat coconut oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, dried red chilly and curry leaves.
4. Add vazha koombu, red chilly powder, and salt to taste and then sprinkle little water into it and cover it with a lid and cook for couple of minutes on low flame.
5. Spread out the koombu add the coconut mixture and combine everything together.
6. Uncover the pan and cook on low flame for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally till all the water evaporates, adjust the salt.
7. Fry carefully for another couple of minutes so that all water evaporates.
8. Finally little coconut oil over the thoran. Switch off the flame, and keep it at least 5 minutes before serving.
Your vazha koombu thoran is ready. Serve with steamed rice.