Ulli theeyal is a side dish for sadhya or steamed rice.
Preparation Time: 5 – 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 – 20 Minutes
Servings: 3 – 5 persons
Main Ingredients: Shallots
Cuisine: South Indian, Kerala
Course / Category: Vegetarian, Side Dish
Shallots: 200 gms
Coconut: ½ cup
Onion: 1 number (Medium size)
Green Chilly: 1 number
Kashmiri chilli: 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder: ½ teaspoon
Turmeric Powder: 1/3 teaspoon
Tamarind: small lemon size ball
Ginger: ½ teaspoon
Garlic: ½ teaspoon
Curry leaves: 4 – 5 numbers
Oil: 1 tablespoon
Salt: as required
1. Grind coconut, kashmiri chili, coriander & Turmeric powder, tamarind without water.
2. Heat oil in a pan.
3. Put Chopped shallots, onion, green chilli, ginger, garlic, salt & sauté well till onions are transparent
4. Add coconut mix to it with ½ cup of water & sauté well.
5. Add curry leaves & mix well.
6. Cook till water evaporates completely.
7. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of coconut oil above it. And keep it close for 10 minutes.
Serve with Rice