Potato thoran / Urulakizhangu thoran is a common recipe from South India / Kerala. It is a common side dish for pothichoru. So most of us have a childhood memory with this recipe. A wonderful easy and tasty side dish recipe to use with steamed rice, roti, chapathi, etc.
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
Servings: 3 Persons
Main Ingredients: Potato
Cuisine: South India, Kerala
Course / Category: Side Dish
Tag: Potato Recipes, Thoran Recipes
Potato: 1 No. (large)
Oil: 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves: A few
Grated coconut: 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
Garlic: 2 cloves
Green chilies: 1 no.
Salt: To taste
Method to Prepare Potato Thoran
1. Remove the skin of potato.
2. Cut the potatoes into thin strips.
3. Chop the garlic and green chilies.
4. Combine grated coconut with turmeric powder, curry leaves and chopped garlic-green chilly mixture. Mix well with your fingers.
5. Heat oil in a pan at medium heat and splutter mustard seeds.
6. Add the potatoes, coconut mixture and enough salt. Mix well.
7. Sprinkle 2 – 3 tbsp water and cook covered for about 10 minutes at low heat stirring in between, until the potatoes are done.
8. Open and keep cooking until completely dry.
Your potato thoran is ready to serve with steamed rice or chappati.