Kovakka is the Malayalam name of Ivy Gourd or Little Gourd. Kovakka Thoran is a tasty, delicious side dish from Kerala Cuisine. It is a common stir fry dish which is mainly used as a side dish for steamed rice.
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
Servings: 4 Persons
Main Ingredients: Kovakka (Ivy Gourd)
Cuisine: South Indian, Kerala
Course / Category: Side Dish
Tag: Thoran Recipe
Kovakka (Ivy Gourd): ½ kg
Grated Coconut: ½ cup
Shallots: 4 – 5 nos
Green Chillies: 2 nos
Turmeric Powder: ½ tsp
Mustard seeds: ½ tsp
Dried Red Chillies: 2 nos
Garlic: 2 clove
Curry leaves: 1 sprig
Coconut Oil: 1 – 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Method to Prepare Kovakka Thoran
1. Rinse well the kovakka & chop finely.
2. Using hand, mix grated coconut with turmeric powder, shallots, cumin seeds, garlic.
3. Heat coconut oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, dried red chilly and curry leaves.
4. Add kovakka and salt to taste and then sprinkle little water into it and cover it with a lid and cook for couple of minutes on low flame.
5. Spread out the kovakka add the coconut mixture and combine everything together.
6. Uncover the pan and cook on low flame for 3 – 5 minutes, stirring occasionally till all the water evaporates, adjust the salt.
7. Fry carefully for another couple of minutes so that all water evaporates.
8. Switch off the flame, and keep it at least 5 minutes before serving.
Serve with steamed rice.