Kovakka is the Malayalam name of Ivy Gourd or Little Gourd. Kovakka Thoran is a tasty, delicious side dish from Kerala Cuisine. It is a common stir fry dish which is mainly used as a side dish for steamed rice.
Preparation time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
Servings: 4 Persons
Main Ingredients: Kovakka (Ivy Gourd)
Cuisine: South Indian, Kerala
- Kovakka (Ivy Gourd): ½ kg
- Grated Coconut: ½ cup
- Shallots: 4 – 5 nos
- Green Chillies: 2 nos
- Turmeric Powder: ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds: ½ tsp
- Dried Red Chillies: 2 nos
- Garlic: 2 clove
- Curry leaves: 1 sprig
- Coconut Oil: 1 – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
Method to Prepare Kovakka Thoran
- Rinse well the kovakka & chop finely.
- Using hand, mix grated coconut with turmeric powder, shallots, cumin seeds, garlic.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, dried red chilly and curry leaves.
- Add kovakka and salt to taste and then sprinkle little water into it and cover it with a lid and cook for couple of minutes on low flame.
- Spread out the kovakka add the coconut mixture and combine everything together.
- Uncover the pan and cook on low flame for 3 – 5 minutes, stirring occasionally till all the water evaporates, adjust the salt.
- Fry carefully for another couple of minutes so that all water evaporates.
- Switch off the flame, and keep it at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with steamed rice.