Kakka (Clams) Irachi Dry Fry is a Kerala Style seafood recipe. Kakka Irachi dry fry is a very tasty recipe available in Kerala. Kakka Irachi are the small sized clams that are abundant in Kerala Backwaters. You can try this at home. Only the cleaning part is tedious, but it is so tasty.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 Minutes
Servings: 4 – 5 Persons
Main Ingredients: Kakka Irachi (Clams)
Cuisine: Indian, Kerala
Course / Category: Side Dish
Kakka Irachi (Clams): 1/2 kg
Sliced Shallots/ Onion: 1.5 cups
Crushed Garlic: 4 big cloves
Crushed Ginger: 1 inch
Curry Leaves: 2 sprigs
Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp
Chilly Powder: 1 tsp
Garam Masala Powder: 2 tsp
Black Pepper Powder: 4 tsp
Thinly sliced coconut: 1/2 cup
Water: 1 cup
Salt: to taste
Method to Prepare Kakka (Clams) Irachi Dry Fry
1. Clean the Kakka / clam. Force out the greyish-black grit inside each of them.
2. Wash it in plenty of water & squeeze the clams to remove water.
3. Add the Kakka, sliced shallots, salt, turmeric powder, chilly powder, garam masala powder, black pepper powder, coconut crushed garlic, crushed ginger and water in pressure cooker & cook it for 15 minutes with lid closed.
4. After 15 minutes put the weight over the cooker, and cook for 2 more whistles.
5. Turn off the flame and allow the steam to go out of the cooker.
6. In the mean time, in a pan add oil when hot add curry leaves and saute.
7. Transfer the clams into the pan and saute in between in medium flame. Cover it with the lid.
8. Add oil as needed and saute in between, to make the mix dry.
Serve with rice , appam.