Dates Pickle or Ethapazham achar (in malayalam) is a very tasty pickle recipe to try at home. It is a sweet, tangy and spicy pickle made with dates. This pickle is a best combination for Chicken Biryani or Mutton Biryani.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
Main Ingredients: Dates
Course / Category: Side Dish
Dates: 250 gms
Ginger: 1 tbsp (shredded)
Garlic cloves: 1 tbsp
Green chillies: 2 chopped
Mustard seeds: 1/4 cup (crushed)
Cumin seeds: 1/4 tsp (crushed)
Chilly powder: 2 tsp
Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida powder: 1/2 tsp
Salt: 1 tsp
Sugar: 1/4 cup
Oil: 2-3 tbsp
Vinegar: 1/3 cup
Water: 1/4 cup
Curry leaves few
1. Chop the dates in small pieces.
2. Make a paste with chilly powder ,mustard seeds, cumin seeds & water in the blender. It should be just crushed.
3. Heat oil in a pan and when the oil is hot, add the ginger, garlic chopped, green chillies & curry leaves.
4. Add the turmeric powder and asafoetida powder
5. Add the chilly paste and vinegar. Bring to a boil.
6. Add the chopped dates and cook for 5 – 7 minutes till the vinegar is absorbed and dates are softened and cooked.
7. Add the sugar & salt. Put off flame.