Cheera Thoran is a tasty, healthy side dish common in Kerala. It is widely used as a side dish for steamed rice. It is commonly available in most of the houses in villages of Kerala and also in vegetable shops. Cheera (Spinach) is very healthy and contains vital nutrients required for human body.Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Servings: 3 Persons
Main Ingredients: Cheera (Spinach)
Cuisine: South India, Kerala
Cheera (Spinach) leaves: 1 bunch
Coconut (grated): ½ of one
Green chillies: 2 nos
Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
Cumin seeds: ½ tsp
Oil: 3 tbsp
Garlic (cloves chopped): 4 nos
Dry red chillies: 2 nos
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Salt: As required
Method to Prepare Cheera Thoran
1. Clean the leaves well and chop it finely.
2. Grind together coconut, turmeric powder, green chillies, cumin seeds, garlic and curry leaves into a coarse form without adding water.
3. Mix together the chopped cheera along with the coconut mixture and salt.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds and saute dry red chillies and curry leaves.
5. Add the cheera & coconut mixture and mix well.
6. Cover and cook on a low flame for about 1 – 2 mins.
7. Remove the lid and continue cooking till done on a low flame.
8. Don’t overcook it. If you overcook it, the colour and nutrients will lose.
Serve with rice.