Beetroot Thoran is an easy side dish recipe to use with steamed rice. It is a tasty stir fry recipe from Kerala. This thoran is a common side dish recipe from Kerala. It is combination of finely grated beetroot with grated coconut. Thoran can be prepared with many other vegetables. This is one of the easy thoran recipe. You can try this at home.
Preparation Time: 5 – 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 – 15 Minutes
Servings: 3 – 4 persons
Main Ingredients: Beetroot
Cuisine: South Indian
Course / Category: Vegetarian, Side Dish
Beetroot: 2 numbers
Coconut: ½ cup
Onion: 1 number (Medium)
Green Chilly: 1 number
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 teaspoon
Garlic: 2 – 3 flakes
Cumin seeds: ¼ teaspoon
Curry leaves: 4 – 5 numbers
Oil: 1 tablespoon
Salt: as required
Method to Prepare Beetroot Thoran
1. Finely chop beetroot, onion, green chilly & garlic.
2. Heat oil in a pan.
3. Put mustard to it, when it splutters add finely chopped beetroot, green chilly, onion, garlic & curry leaves.
4. In this mix add grated coconut, cumin seeds, turmeric & 1/4 cup of water & sauté well.
5. Close with lid & cook on low flame till water evaporates & beetroot is cooked.
6. Garnish with fresh curry leaves.
Your Tasty Beetroot Thoran is ready to serve. Serve with steamed rice.