Malabar Egg Curry or Kerala Egg Curry with coconut milk is a common egg recipe from Kerala. It is boiled egg simmered in gravy made of coconut milk, onion, ginger-garlic paste, and masala. It is an easy recipe which can be used as a combination of many food like roti, rice, puttu (rice steamed cake), idiyappam or noolappam (string hoppers), appam, etc.
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
Servings: 2 Persons
Main Ingredients: Egg
Cuisine: South Indian, Kerala
Eggs: 2 nos.
Tomatoes: 1 nos.
Cooking Oil: 1 tbsp
Onions: 1 nos. (big)
Thick Coconut Milk: 1 and 1/2 cup
Ginger-Garlic Paste: 1 tsp
Salt: to taste
Garam Masala: 1/4 tsp
Green Chilly: 1 no.
Curry Leaves: 2 leaves
Chilli Powder: 1 and 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
Coriander Powder: 1 – 2 tsp
Method to Prepare Malabar Egg Curry
1. Boil the eggs.
2. Once the eggs are boiled, De-shell the eggs.
3. Slice the eggs keep aside.
4. Chop the onions.
5. Heat cooking oil in a pan and fry the chopped onions till the color changes.
6. Add the ginger-garlic paste along with Chili Powder ,Turmeric Powder, Coriander Powder.
7. Mix the onions and spices well. Stir for a few minutes and keep aside.
8. Cut the tomatoes & cook.Pour thick coconut milk and add the sliced eggs and bring it to a boil.
9. After a few minutes, add the green chillies and curry leaves. Simmer the tomatoes and eggs on low flame.
10. Mix the tomatoes and spiced onions with the simmering tomatoes and eggs.
11. Cover the egg curry and simmer for 3 – 5 minutes.
Your Malabar Egg Curry is ready and can be served with appam, idiyappam, puttu, etc.