Kappa Biryani (Tapioca Biriyani) is a recipe commonly available in Kerala Thattukada. It is also called as Kappa Erachi or Kappa Irachi in some places. A very tasty non-vegetarian dish. Taste will be different at different thattukada. This Kappa Biryani recipe you can try at home.
Preparation Time: 20 – 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 – 30 minutes
Servings: 3 – 4 persons
Main Ingredients: Tapioca and Beef
Cuisine: South Indian
Beef: 1/2 kg
Tapioca: 1 kg
Onion: 2 number (medium)
Shallots: 10 – 12 numbers
Ginger Garlic paste: 2 teaspoon
Tomato: 2 number (medium)
Kashmiri Chilly Powder: 1 and 1/2 tablespoon
Turmeric: 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder: 2 tablespoon
Garam Masala: 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves: 1 string
Cumin seeds: ¼ teaspoon
Fennel seeds: ½ teaspoon
Salt: as required
Method to Prepare Kerala Kappa Biryani (Tapioca Biriyani)
1. Dice tapioca into pieces same size as of beef. Cook with ½ teaspoon turmeric, salt & enough water. Drain water when cooked.
2. Heat oil in pan add onions & sauté well. Add ginger garlic paste & sauté till raw smell goes.
3. Add kashmiri chilly, turmeric, garam masala & salt sauté till raw smell of masala goes.
4. Add chopped tomatoes & sauté well. Add beef to it & mix well.
5. Add ½ cup of water & cook well till beef is cooked & gravy is thick.
6. Heat pan little oil to this add shallots & sauté till golden brown in colour. Add cumin & fennel powder, curry leaves & sauté for a minute. Put this above kappa & mix well.
7. Add cooked beef above kappa & mix well.