Mutton Dum Biryani is a tasty variant of mutton biryani in India. Try this famous recipe for your lunch or dinner. Mutton dum biryani is a variant in which mutton is dum cooked and gives an aromatic flavour and taste.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Marination: Minimum 3 hours
Cooking Time: 2 hours
Servings: 3 – 4 persons
Main Ingredients: Mutton
Course / Category: Non–Vegetarian
Tags: Main Dish, Non-Vegetarian
Basmati Rice: 2 cup
Mutton: 500 gms
Onion: 3 numbers (medium)
Green chilly: 4 numbers (medium)
Pepper corns: 2 – 3 numbers
Bay Leaf: 2 numbers
Cinnamon: 3 numbers
Clove: 3 numbers
Big cardamom: 1 number
Green Cardamom: 2 numbers
Saunf: 2 teaspoon
Kashmiri Red chilly powder: 1 tablespoon
Ginger Garlic paste: 2 tablespoon
Tomato: 2 numbers
Curd: 1 and 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander leaves: 1 cup
Pudina / Mint leaves: 1 cup
Turmeric: 1/4 teaspoon
Lemon: ½ of 1 number
Garam Masala: 2 teaspoon
Oil: 3 tablespoon
Salt: as required
Method to Prepare Mutton Dum Biryani
1. Marinate Mutton pieces with 1tablespoon ginger garlic & green chilly paste, curd, oil & ½ teaspoon of salt for 3 hours.
2. Cook marinated mutton with enough water in pressure cooker for 10-12 whistles.
3. Heat oil in a pan, add bay leaf, cinnamon, clove, big cardamom & sauté well.
4. Add finely chopped onion & sauté well.
5. Add remaining ginger garlic & green chilly paste & sauté well till raw smell goes.
6. Add diced tomatoes & sauté well, close with lid for cooking for 10 minutes.
7. Remove lid & mix well. Add Kashmiri chilly powder, turmeric & mix well.
8. Add chopped pudina & coriander leaves
9. Add cooked mutton pieces to it & mix well.
10. Add 2 cups of water & check salt. Add salt if required. Add powdered saunf & mix well.
11. Close with lid for cooking. Cook to get thick gravy.
12. Take deep bottomed vessel, boil 5 cups of water with salt, bay leaf, cinnamon, clove, green cardamom, black pepper. Cook rice for 5 minutes & drain excess water.
13. Remove all garam masala from rice.
14. Take vessel layer with half of mutton mix. Above it layer with half rice, again layer with remaining half mutton mix & finally layer with remaining rice.
15. Above it can sprinkle liquid food colour.
16. Close it tightly with lid & seal the edges.
17. Put the vessel above tawa & cook on high flame for 10 minutes & on low flame for 15 minutes. Then switch off flame & keep it like that for 15 minutes.
Your Mutton Dum Biryani is ready to serve. Serve with raita.
Note: This can be done by using pressure cooker. Do the same process & cook for 3 whistles.