Kappa Biriyani with ellu / Tapioca Biryani is one of the very delicious recipes of South India. It is one common dish available in thattukada (street food shops) in Kerala.
A good mixture of kappa (tapioca) with meat bones makes it tasty. This is a Kerala style Kappa Biriyani recipe you can try at home.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Servings: 4 persons
Main Ingredients: Kappa (Tapioca) and Meat Bones
Cuisine: South Indian
Course / Category: Main Dish
Tags: Kappa Recipes, Biryani Recipe
Tapioca – 1 kg
Meat – 1 kg (with bones)
Onion – 4 no’s
Red chili powder – 1 ½ tbsp
Coriander Powder – 2 tbsp
Meat Masala – 2 tbsp
Garam Masala – 1 tbsp
Ginger – 4 tbsp
Garlic – 2 pods
Turmeric – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – 3 sprig
Oil – 2 tbsp
Method to Prepare Kappa Biriyani with Ellu / Tapioca Biryani
1. Clean tapioca. Cut in to small cubes and cook well adding enough water. Drain excess water and keep aside.
2. Clean meat bone add it in pressure cooker and cook by adding little salt and turmeric and 2 cup water for 10- 12 whistles on medium-low flame.
3. Heat pan add oil then add finely chopped onion and saute well till it’s translucent. Add chopped ginger and garlic and saute till raw smell goes.
4. Add red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, meat masala, garam masala and salt. Saute well till raw smell goes.
5. Add cooked meat bone to it along with water in it. Add additional water if required.
6. Cook well till meat bone is well cooked and gravy thickens.
7. Add curry leaves and let it cook for few more minutes.
8. Add cooked meat bone mix to cooked tapioca and mix well. Mash tapioca pieces.
Your Kappa Biriyani with Ellu is ready to serve. Serve hot.