Adaprathaman is a popular Indian dessert of Kerala cuisine. It is very tasty and is mostly served at the festival Onam as a part of sadhya. Ada pradhaman is a healthy dessert for all being its combination of rice flakes (ada), jaggery and coconut milk. This recipe makes adaprathaman with coconut milk. We also have recipe to make ada prathaman with milk.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 hours
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Servings: 5 – 6 Persons
Main Ingredients: Ada, Jaggery, Coconut Milk
Cuisine: South Indian
Course / Category: Dessert
Tag: Payasam Recipes
Ingredients for Ada Pradhaman
Rice ada: 250 gm
Jaggery: 400 gm
Coconut milk (thin): 2½ cup
Coconut milk (thick): 1 cup
Cashews: 3 tbsp
Raisins: 3 tbsp
Fried coconut slices: 2½ tbsp
Cardamom (powdered): 1 tsp
Cumin (powdered): 1 tsp
Dry ginger powder: ½ tsp
Ghee: 1 – 2 tbsp
Method to Prepare Adaprathaman with Coconut Milk
1. Boil water in a pan. Wash ada and cook it in boiling water for around 15 – 20 minutes until it becomes soft. Strain and rinse with cold water.
2. Melt the jaggery in around 2 cups of water and strain it.
3. Heat ghee in a vessel. Fry the raisins, cashews and coconut slices one by one.
4. Add the ada and saute in ghee for 4-5 minutes adding more ghee if required at medium heat.
5. Add the melted jaggery, cook at medium heat stirring in between.
6. When it thickens add the thin coconut milk. Bring down the heat and cook until it thickens, stirring in between.
7. Now add the thick coconut milk. Mix well.
8. Add the dry ginger, cardamom and cumin powder. Mix well, cook for 2 minutes at low heat and switch off.
9. Garnish with the fried dry fruits.
10. Close with a lid for at least 20 minutes.
Serve your ada pradhaman with coconut milk hot or cold as you desire to have. I prefer cold.
Note: For coconut milk you can scrap 3 – 4 coconuts and take milk from it. 1st milk taken from it should be thick, you can add more water as desired for 2nd (thin) milk.